Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I Almost Died That Semester

I have this senior friend of mine that once asked me if I’m serious in taking up the same course as hers. Right at that very moment, I wondered why she’s asking that question to me. As the days passed by, I just ignored that thinking of mine that the course I’m going to take will seize me to hell. Four consecutive semesters had gone by and I’m still wondering why she told that thing. I’m not saying that our course was just a piece of cake; it’s just that we had done what we should and want to do. Meaning, no pressures against us and no three nights with only 5 hours of sleep just like she said. Actually, we had the luxury of time doing non-academic things and even we had overnights that time, half of the occasions were reserved for doing some nonsense things. Until our 4th year came, first days was just the same as the initial days of the past sems, the only difference is that our professors told us the THINGS we have to do within that sem. I noticed that there are many reportings rather than presentations and defenses. As the weeks go by, all the reportings we have to do just passed our lives and the actual THING started to approach us: the ever-living DEFENSES. The first defense of us is on our subject Data Communications and Networking. I can say that its ok and we got a grade of 60+(I can’t remember the exact grade). It’s high isn’t it? (LOL). Seriously, yes, it is already a good catch for us.

Our second defense is the most memorable for me. That defense is part of our subject Automata and Language Theory. I advice you take notes of the not-so-good things happened to my on that day. Before I continue, let me tell you that we rented a room to do our school stuffs. It is located at España, Manila. Like all of our classmates, we had an overnight the night before the defense. We have to do many materials and visuals to present during our defense. While doing the said materials and visuals, it started raining. I didn’t notice that it’s already raining hard because I’m getting myself busy doing our visual of Transition Diagram (what it is, never mind. It will not help you at all… haha). After feeling the shivering temp of the wind, hearing some thunder and became conscious of the time, that’s the time I panicked. Not only because of the flood we’re about to face but also for the effing (sorry for the term…=)) fact that it’s already 2:30 am and we’re only near halfway of our materials. Imagine, one piece of material is finished within 1 hr, we are to complete 4 more visual and we only have several hours to refine it. The clock is definitely ticking too fast and we noticed that it is already time for taking a bath. It’s already 4am and the call time is 7am. We didn’t finish the materials when we left the house. To our horror, the flood outside is up to the knee. We didn’t expect that since the owner of the house assured us that their place is safe from that disgusting flood. So we had no choice but to walk through the raging flood. We waited for some vehicles to pass by but ironically, jeepneys are full and we are left to ride the tricycles. Without hesitating, we rode the tricycles. In the middle of the road, there came by a huge vehicle causing a huge wave. Knowing that we are on a tricycle, we are left victims by that wave. The wave washed out our asses (LOL) with its dirt. Another thing after several hardships in driving, the driver finally decided to stop and leave us in the middle of the flood. I can’t blame him because of the fact that he tried to get us to our destination but the irritating machine of the tricycles just always got out of its mind because of the water inside it. The worst part of the scenario came in. While walking to the main road, again in high flood, and holding my slacks to not slip and be wet by the flood water, my nauseating paper bag just wrecked itself causing my toothbrush, one of my college shirts (my college shirt in first year, the cream one), some other stuffs and my LEATHER SHOES to fall in love with the flood. I almost leave the real world that time and thinking that I’m only in my dream world. After that moment, we continued walking until we reached the main road. Just a second after that, we saw our classmates riding on a truck. I didn’t imagine that we will come to that situation. With no choices given, we rode that dropped-by-an-angel (sarcastically… hehe) truck and it took us to the Tayuman Station of the Light Rail Transit (LRT). Because of the missing-in-action jeepneys, we rode the LRT. Because of our innocence of what is happening in that area we chose to go down at the Central Terminal. Then the walking-on-flood part II came. At the Manila City Hall, the flood came up to 3-4ft. Imagine that. Because of the urge to have the defense, we did our very best to win our battle against that flood. When we reached the Intramuros, we proceeded to the Internet shop to print our documents that is needed for our presentation. We spend many minutes in the shop because of the huge volume of copies we needing. Because of that we didn’t notice the time. We are already LATE. And first and main rule during the defense day is “DON’T BE LATE!!!”. When we came, I almost lost my sanity when we heard that we’re not going to take the opportunity to defend are work because we are late. Imagine, after preparing so much and suffering those bunches of irony in life, we are not able to present?!?! Because of that sad news, some of my groupmates cry (sorry guys… you know who you are… hahaha) because of frustration. After that, we fell asleep because of tiredness. And after several hours, a good news came. Our professors gave us a chance to take the defense but the catch is, ”the grade of the not late group - 10” will be the highest grade we can receive. And according to the gossips, the grade of that group is 35 so the highest possible grade we can receive is 25!!! Haha… nice grade, isn’t it. But at least we will already have the chance to defend our work. After several hours of waiting and reviewing or work, because we are the last to present, the defense period came. And sad to say, we only took a very short period of time of 1 hr. After the panelists knew that the materials we posted were not complete, they said that it’s not worth defending so that’s it. It’s finished. And the verdict, of course, FAILED. Haha. But I’m not sad, because only one group received a remark of Conditional Passed and all is the same as ours.

Had you counted it already?(LOL). Anyway, I’m still happy that time for the fact that they gave us a chance and paradoxically, at the same time I’m so sad that time because of one thing. A thing I don’t know if I can share to you folks. Haha. Maybe next time. That’s all!

(P.S. Several Defenses followed that incident. Actually, it counts to more than 7. Where in the university you can see that? Haha. And because of that I salute all the Computer Science graduates of PLM. Bringing up my chair isn’t that hard LOL. Now, I will believe all the things she (read the first paragraph) told, is telling and will tell to me. Studying is not hard. Please convince me! haha. Actually, it isn’t. Just enjoy it, give your everything into at and most of all, have faith to Him. For all we know, he can do to us something we can never imagine will happen to our lives. Like graduating (LOL). I hope you appreciated this chunk of absurd events in my life. Once again, Yngatz and Godbless).

No comments:

Post a Comment